General Manager Key Responsibilities
- Sales (the first 8 weeks will be HEAVILY on sales)
- Build and perpetuate company culture that supports who we are and what we do (mission statement above).
- Coach, train, manage employees
- Ensure customer satisfaction
- Build and execute successful growth plan (sales, marketing, etc.)
- Manage on boarding of acquired companies
Other General Manager Duties
- Contract development, management, and maintenance
- Safety: Build/improve processes procedures to keep people safe and customers happy
- Ensure compliance with the law (state, local, etc.)
- Be willing to work jobs on occasion to better learn/understand processes, build team morale, and fill in during emergencies
- Our employees have a lot of respect for leaders who aren’t afraid to roll up their sleeves and work alongside them
- Occasional travel to job sites to meet with customers and employees
Perks of the job
Here are some of the things that are awesome about this job. First, you will be getting in at an early stage in a small company that is growing very quickly. This of course comes with challenges, but the upside is you will get the chance to take on responsibilities and grow at a quicker pace than might happen at a more mature company.
Ownership. You are going to have direct ownership for the things that you are responsible for. You will get a great degree of flexibility in how you solve problems, build your team, and grow the business. You’ll get the chance to experiment with new ideas and try new things.
Working remotely means you don’t have a regular commute and you have flexibility in how you work. Work in your pajamas if you want to!
We also offer some benefits including PTO and dental for this position.
You should know
As mentioned above, you will be expected to go out on jobs occasionally and work alongside the crews. This can be dirty, physical labor. If you are the type that shies away from that, then this will not be a good fit for you.
We are doing jobs 24 hours per day 6 days per week (we are closed Sundays). As the General Manager, you will be the escalation point for emergencies if something goes wrong on a job late at night. Most issues are successfully handled by the crew managers, but if you have a problem with getting a call in the middle of the night or on a Saturday to help out with an emergency, then this job will not be a good fit for you.
We don’t offer health insurance. For nearly all of our employees they have a better option for coverage through healthcare.gov (which would not be available to them if we offered health insurance). If this is a concern there are also other options available.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred (Business Administration, Marketing, Finance, or other related field). Masters degree — even better
- Candidates without a formal degree WILL be considered as long as they have solid, relevant experience
- 3+ years managing 20+ janitorial or similar type service employees
- Good people skills — handling customer complaints, employee concerns, working well with CEO
- Experience developing employees
- Excellent writing skills
- Tech savvy (you need to be able to use a computer and type efficiently. Google Suite, MS Office, and other industry specific software will be a big part of the job).
- Financial savvy: You need to be able to read an income statement, prepare budget forecasts, and manage budgets.
- Have your own transportation to get to job site
- Able to lift over 50 LBS, climb ladders, and walk/work on rooftops & Utah State Issued Hood Cleaning License